The Storm of November 17th, 2013
Written by: Kimberly Bennett
Many of you know about the storms that swept across the Midwest last Sunday. The damage of the storm was extensive, impacting 8 states of the Midwestern region: Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee.
Weather.com has provided a detailed report of the storm’s damage, state by state. Please take time to acknowledge the extent of the storm:
While several families in St. Clair County lost their power for many hours last Sunday, unfortunately three students of McKendree University lost their homes amongst the damage.
President Dennis sent out an email a day or so after the storm regarding several opportunities for McKendree students, faculty and staff to reach out and help these students as well as the other victims of the storm replace the things they’ve lost:
“1. On Friday, November 22, there will be an opportunity to sign posters in Ames Dining Hall that will express messages of concern.
2. Efforts are being made to collect clothing items for the greater Washington area through APO. You will find boxes located throughout the campus for collection of needed items.
3. On Saturday, November 23, the 50/50 drawing at the McKendree men’s basketball game will be donated to the McKendree families who have lost their homes.
4. Money and gift cards are being accepted by the Office of Student Affairs and these will go directly to the families of our students.
5. Individual members of our community have offered to travel to Washington to assist with clean up. We do not yet have information on how this might be done, but we will keep you informed.
6. Our Parent Association is reaching out to the families and if your parents would like to assist in this effort they can call Jenn Gauthier-Lyke at 618 537-6823.”
Some of the dates have already passed but it is never too late to lend a helping hand where it is needed.
President Dennis promises to inform McKendreans of any circumstantial change and asks everyone to keep all of the victims of the storms in mind, including the Philippines.
If you have any ideas on how to help out the victims of the Midwestern storms or even of the Philippines, please feel free to leave a comment below or email the McKendree Review (email@example.com). We would love to hear your ideas!