BY BRITANI BEASLEY
As we approach the end of the school year, students find it difficult to maintain attendance, participation and interest in their courses. Here are some quick tips to help students stay motivated in the classroom, keep their minds sharp, and leave procrastination at an all-time low.
- Make a To-Do List: It is important, especially this late in the semester, to have a to-do list handy in your planner. Having a to-do list is much more effective to cross things off of the list and visibly see that you are getting closer to the end of the semester.
- Shut off All Electronics: Our generation cannot seem to comprehend what it is like not being connected to everything going on around us. A simple way to complete that list of final tasks is to turn off your notifications and put your cell phone on silent for 30 minutes at a time. There is no telling how much you can get accomplished by working in 30 minute increments. If people start practicing to turn off their electronics, it becomes easier and easier to go hours at a time, or through an entire assignment, without checking your phone or social media sites.
- Take a walk: On a nice evening, take a walk either by yourself or with your friends. It is beneficial to occasionally do both. Having time to yourself helps you refocus and forget negative thoughts that cloud your mind and prevent you from being productive. While you are with friends, it is nice to be able to talk about how both of your days are going, talk about your individual stress, and laugh.
- Go to a campus event: Give your mind a break by attending an event on campus. Check your campus email for weekly activities to rest your mind, have fun and relax.
- Get plenty of sleep: Make sure you go to bed at a reasonable time in order to make it to class and retain information given to you. With exams coming up, it is important for you to remember the necessary information in preparation for your finals!
By following these simple steps, these last few weeks will be less stressful, and you will be more than ready to enjoy the summer sun!